Monday, September 29, 2008

And now for something completely insensitive!

Political correctness be damned! I have a beef with unattractive people.

It's not the fact so much that they are unattractive which is not a shortcoming in and of itself. It has more to do with the fact that I believe they could be attractive if they wanted to. Also I should clarify that I am not necessarily talking about physically ugly people because alot of people who count as overweight, plain-looking, etc. are still happy and great people and I have no quarrel with you.

My beef is with the people who are unattractive in spirit. The ones who spend their lives going from one day to the next avoiding eye contact, being self-centered, walking with their heads down and other such anti-social behaviour. These people make me think of prisoners in the Gulag with the way they either hide away from society or despise it in it's entirety. You don't need a degree in anthropology to spot these people. You can usually spot them after only a few seconds of close examination. They are the people who go from class to class (or day to day in their job) without saying much to anyone and you would never have noticed they were there if you weren't looking for them.

Perhaps the main reason I am upset by their presence is because they remind me of my deep dark past. As I mentioned before, I spent a large part of my life as a bit of a social outcast and when I look at these people, I see myself as I used to be. It took me a lot of effort to climb out of that hole and I could never have done it without the support of good friends; but I had to take the first steps and actually try to make friends. I had to start washing my face, showering regularly, learn social cues, and many of the more subtle nuances that are involved in becoming a outgoing person. Anyone who says "it's easy for you to say" can think again; it took years to learn all the things I needed to know to become a socialite but as they say at AA, the first step is acknowledging that you have a problem.

No comments: