Wednesday, November 19, 2008

When I grow up...

There are two types of job: those that require you only to perform well at the work site and then clock out, and those that require a bit more of your time.

I believe that teaching is one of these jobs that you don't leave at the office. As much as I dislike homework now, I realize that I am going to be doing a whole lot more when I finally get out of this school. I came to this understanding after I handed in my research paper for history. I had been so focused upon getting the paper finished while I was writing it that I thought that writing papers was the most difficult thing anyone could do. It wasn't until I handed it in to my professor that I thought about what he has to do now. He has to read every 8-page paper and grade them accordingly; all that on top of preparing the lectures and seminars for each week while facing a majority of students that openly display their lackadaisical attitude towards his subject of interest. I can't wait to be doing what he's doing!

I actually plan to teach at the upper-high school level which, though it is very different from university, is fundamentally similar. I won't even have the benefit of having students motivated by making sure their money is well spent. I do look forward to it because I had good experiences in high school and I believe that it can be a very fascinating time as long as there are teachers willing to make it interesting.

1 comment:

Ian Wassink said...

Similarly, there are 3 types of people: those who can count and those who can't.